For many years, the Battery Point Progress Association expressed ongoing dissatisfaction with the archaic street reflectors used on streetlights in the suburb. In 1951, a survey identified the need for 21 new light reflectors and letters were frequently written to authorities about the lights (or lack of). As a consequence, the Association wrote to the Hobart City Council (HCC) asking if they could provide some suitable lamp standards for Arthur Circus. In 1952 the HCC expressed an interest in providing ‘artistic’ lights for Battery Point. In November 1959 the Association discussed the replacement of electric light poles outside private property. In March 1960 the improved fluorescent light in Cromwell Street was noted. Alderman Neave stated that the HCC would implement this type of brighter lighting in the future.
Then, there was the light mystery. Somehow the Association became aware of an ‘old fashioned’ lamp stored with the HCC and available for the beautification of Arthur Circus. In 1962 the possibility of placing the light in the middle of Arthur Circus became the subject of a letter to the Hydro Electric Commission but somehow the HCC had ‘lost track’ of the old ornamental carriage light.
In August 1970 an Association deputation (George Brown, Miss Henslowe and David Saunders) approached Sir Allan Knight, Commissioner of Hydro Electric Commission to make a contribution by providing underground wiring and erecting in Battery Point the same type of old lamps as outside Hobart Savings Bank in Murray Street. Sir Allan explained that undergrounding was being investigated but costs were problematic.
Mr. McKay undertook to investigate the cost of lamp standards with a Launceston firm. In February 1971, the design for a tall, easily made lamp for Arthur Circus was adopted. The HEC agreed in March to inspect the lamp design.
In September 1972 the Lord Mayor told a special meeting of the Association that undergrounding of electricity supply and individual casting of lamp posts would take place in the next 12 months. Sir Alfred White said he knew someone with an original cast and would endeavour to find it. The resulting Arthur Circus lights are copper frame hooded lanterns mounted on Revo ‘Moseley’ pattern light standards, an early 20th century pattern. The Revo Electric Company was located in Tipton, Staffordshire and operated between 1907 and 1969.
In 1983-4, the Australian Government provided compensation to Tasmania for the loss of Hydro projects. Reportedly, some of this money was used to provide street lighting for Battery Point. In the February 1985 Association minutes, ‘the Council, after accepting the Advisory Committee’s advice regarding lights for Battery Point (i.e. modern ones instead of fake antiques) changed its mind without any reference to the Committee and without any reasons’ advised for ‘antique’ lights, which were installed in 1985.