During the first decade of the house’s existence, the street presently identified as Sloane Street was named Trumpeter Street (originally formed in 1834). It was referred to as such in legal conveyancing documents until 1851. It was subsequently renamed after the street’s original occupant, James Sloane, and the Trumpeter name was reassigned to its present location.
An 1890 photograph and a sketch by A.T. Fleury, as well as structural details within the building itself, identify that the building had a corner door to Napoleon Street for at least the first hundred years of its life. This corner entry was a common design for early inns throughout the city and, when the property was advertised for sale in 1851, it was noted that building was always ‘intended for a public house’ (Mays 2014, Spirited, Skilled and Determined–The Boat and Ship Builders of Battery Point: 1835-1935, p.25).
Consequent of this corner entry, the building’s address was identified as 6 Napoleon Street in old 19th Century records, and probably retained this Napoleon Street address well into the 20th Century.
The 6 Napoleon Street address is somewhat incongruous as all Napoleon street numbers on the northern side of the road are uneven.
(List of Property owners and occupants, Hobart Town Gazette 10th Feb 1860 and Public House Licensee Index, Hobart Town Gazette)